Each year two residents are selected to begin the residency program that is seven years in length. Applicants must register with both the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) and the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) to participate fully in the Match.
Based on institutional requirements, applicants must possess one of the following qualifications in order to be eligible for appointment to our accredited residency program:
- Graduates of a medical school in the United States and Canada accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) OR graduates of colleges of osteopathic medicine in the United States accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA).
- Graduates of medical schools outside the United States and Canada who meet one of the following qualifications prior to appointment:
- Have current valid J-1 sponsorship and certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG); OR
- Have a full and unrestricted license to practice medicine in the U.S. Licensing jurisdiction; OR
- Graduates of medical schools that have completed the Fifth Pathway Program provided by an LCME- accredited medical school.
Additional information regarding applicant eligibility and selection can be found on the UMMC Graduate Medical Education website under the policy title, “Resident Eligibility, Selection, and Participation in Educational Activities (GMS-D).”